POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Zebra-look : Re: Zebra-look Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Zebra-look
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 22 Aug 2000 22:16:34
Message: <39A334DC.33713707@mailbag.com>
Jens Strohmeyer wrote:

> Hello out there...
> I'd  like to know how to create a "Zebra-look" texture
> which I want to apply to an object.
> Might spotted color maps be a possible solution to my problem ?
> Don't have much experience with them so far.
> Can anyone help me ?  Thx in advance !
> Jens

One of the problems in generating a realistic zebra-stripe texture is
that the stripes vary over different parts of their bodies.  If you want
something realistic, check the following:
Turing, A.M. The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis, Phil. Trans. R. Soc.
London B 237 pp 37-72 (1952)
Everything since derives from it.  Hopefully others in this newsgroup
will recognize the author (yes, that A.M. Turing).

For something less than realism, there should be ways to fake it.  Now,
properly texturing an animated zebra becomes much trickier, as it
requires UV-mapping or something along those lines.  3-D procedural
textures are designed more for things like marble and wood that don't
bend like hide does.

-Mark Gordon